Wednesday, July 10, 2013

My name

Prompt: Write about your first name—why you were given it, what associations or stories are attached to it, what you think or know it means. Do the same for your last name. Given the chance, what name would you give yourself?

My birth name is Daria which means Dorthy in Italian. I was born in Russia and don't really know the story behind my name, but I do know that when my mom adopted me she kept the birth name I was given because she thought that changing a child's name just because of where they are was wrong and too hard on the child. My mom's current last name comes from my grandmother's 2nd marriage. As a child my mom's last name was Bond.  If I could change my name I would change it to Selah Amarie Montoya. In Hebrew, Selah means 'one who sings to the Lord'. I am a devout Christian and always wished that my name were more true to who I really am. I hate fantasy anything. So honestly, the name Dorthy makes me a little mad.. Amarie is one of my favorite names for a girl. Montoya is the last name on my mom's ex-husband's side of the family, and the last name I plan to take legally when I get married.

No comments:

Post a Comment